The Shearwater Research Teric brings divers an everyday timepiece and dive computer of unprecedented capabilities. Different watch faces, configurable colours to match your style, air integration for up to two gases, freediving mode, technical and recreational dive modes, OC and CC, 3D compass, programmable timers, alarms and stopwatch... and it works seamlessly with Shearwater Cloud!
As an Authorised Shearwater Demo Centre we have a Shearwater Research Teric dive computer and Transmitter in-store and available for you to take for a try dive to see just how brilliant it is. Call or email us to book your try dive!
Shearwater Research Teric — The Watch That Transforms You
ScubaLab Testers Choice 2018
A departure for a company known for its capable though boxy wrist computers, the Teric takes everything Shearwater knows about the intuitive operation, readable screens and customisable options, and squeezes it into a sleek air-integrated watch. Its four-button operation is logical and simple, the LED screen is crisp and clear, and it offers a high degree of customisation, with large or standard layout, a choice of data locations, and 15 colours for values, titles, units and menus.
It took top scores for operation, ergonomics, data display, alternate screen data and onboard log. Stylish enough to wear anywhere, and selected as the favourite by most test divers, the Teric is our Testers Choice for watch computers.
The Teric dive computer incorporates the powerful Shearwater Research feature set in a wristwatch sized form factor. The Teric supports up to two optional wireless transmitters to display the cylinder gas pressure without the use of hoses. A wireless transmitter is NOT included but available as a separate option.
The Shearwater Research Teric is a full technical dive computer with recreational divers in mind. Out of the box, the Teric includes open-circuit and closed-circuit Air, Nitrox and Trimix mixed gas functionality along with a three-axis tilt-compensated digital compass. It has Recreational, Gauge, OC Tech and CC/BO modes with up to 5 Air, Nitrox or Trimix gases. It also has a new Freediving Mode with configurable sampling/ logging rates and ascent/descent indicators suitable for freediving.
The Shearwater Teric has 4 buttons and incorporates situational adaptable logic to the menus and buttons making the Teric very intuitive. It is also very configurable. You can configure one of the 4 buttons to give you single press access to different tools like compass, stopwatch, countdown timer, etc. The Teric supports wireless gas pressure integration with tracking tank gas pressures (optional transmitters required) and can monitor up to two pressure transmitters in two different tanks. There are haptic and audible alarms that can be disabled to prevent annoying other divers in the vicinity.
The Shearwater Teric has been designed with a wireless rechargeable battery and includes a wireless induction charger stand. The expected life of the built-in battery is five (5) years and the battery can be replaced at one of the Shearwater factory authorised service centres. Although Shearwater recommends using their charging stand, the Teric can also be charged by the flat mats that support the Qi wireless-charging standard (which includes the latest iPhones and many Android phones).
The Shearwater Teric offers an information screen utilising a 35 mm (1.39 in) full-colour AMOLED display. Brightness levels are user adjustable and accessible with just one button press. During a decompression dive, the Teric provides complete information displays of all required stop times. The Teric can provide time-to-surface based on "look ahead" at planned gas switches. Multiple gas definition presets are supported with any combination of oxygen, nitrogen and helium. The Teric will NOT "lockout" after a missed stop or ascent rate violation.
After the dive, the Teric communicates via next-generation Bluetooth Smart Ready™ to connect with the Shearwater Cloud dive log manager, which is compatible with MS Windows, OS X, iOS and Android devices. The dive log manager supports log downloads and firmware updates via the Bluetooth wireless interface of the Teric.
The Shearwater Teric base price does not include a tank pressure transmitter because you may not wish to use the AI feature, or may already own a compatible transmitter. Shearwater Research tells us that as long as the transmitter is marked with "FCC ID MH8A" on the body then the transmitter, regardless of the brand, will also work with their Teric, Perdix AI and NERD 2 model air integrated dive computers. The first stage regulator tank-pressure wireless transmitter supplied by Shearwater Research is actually manufactured by Pelagic Pressure Systems. Pelagic has been supplying those same OEM transmitters to various dive computer manufacturers such as Aeris, Aqualung, Hollis, and Oceanic for many years.
The Teric is capable of wirelessly connecting to either one or two optional transmitters giving the diver ability to monitor up to two tank pressures and allowing for side-mount diving. It's also capable of calculating the Gas Time Remaining (GTR) on one assigned tank. Air integration is optional for all modes, from OC Rec to CC/BO. The tank pressure(s), in PSI or BAR, and GTR can be displayed to the customisable slots on the main display screen or accessed through the underlying information screens.
What's in the Box:
Included with every Shearwater Research Teric are black silicone 22 mm wrist strap with buckle plus extender (for drysuits), zippered travel case, wireless charging stand and cable (USB-A), USB Bluetooth adaptor, printed Quick Start Guide with instructions for downloading the full manual and software from the Shearwater Research. Shearwater supplies the Teric with a zippered 'travel' case.
The Shearwater Teric dive computer comes standard with a Black bezel with a black silicone wrist band, a Blue bezel with a black silicone wrist band, or a Silver bezel with a black silicone wrist band. Available Shearwater colour options include user changeable dual colour wrist bands in Blue, Green, Pink, White, or Yellow; along with additional charging stands. See Shearwater Research Teric Strap Kit. And now there are an additional ten (10) new premium straps available!
Shearwater Research Teric Key Features
- Nitrox and Trimix decompression dive computer in wrist-watch form factor
- Supports up to 5 Air, Nitrox or Trimix gases
- Bühlmann ZHL-16c algorithm with configurable Gradient Factors
- Supports up to two optional wireless tank pressure transmitters
- Switchable audible and vibration alerts
- Supports Open-Circuit, Fixed PO2, Gauge, and Freediving Modes
Technical Open-Circuit Features
- Air/Nitrox/Trimix capable
- 5 open-circuit gas switch presets
- Bühlmann ZHL-16C with Gradient Factors
- %CNS oxygen exposure tracking
- Ascent rate monitor
- Date, time and temp display
- Easy to read 35 mm (1.39 in) full colour 400 x 400 AMOLED screen
- Easy to use adaptive menus
- Logbook of last 500 hours of diving
- Operational to at least 200 m (660 ft)
- Battery charge level and warning
- Metric and Imperial
- Wear on right or left wrist
- Battery life typically 30+ hours of diving with AI mode enabled
- Constant PPO2 Set Point
- Automatic Set Point Switching
- 5 additional CCR Diluent gas presets
- 2 button push OC bailout
- Does NOT support external PO2 monitoring (See Petrel2-EXT)
- Richly featured gauge-mode and freediving mode
- Three-axis tilt-compensated digital compass
- Scratch resistant Sapphire Crystal face
- Bluetooth Smart wireless upload/download
- Wireless Tank Pressure (option transmitter required)
- User upgradable firmware
- Wireless rechargeable battery (factory replaceable)
- Dive Log Software
- Two Year Limited Warranty
Download/read the Shearwater Teric Brochure (PDF).
Recreational Open-Circuit Features
Key features of the Recreational Open-Circuit mode (aka Recreational Nitrox mode) include a simpler menu structure, less cluttered display with a larger font and configurable bottom row, optional safety stops, and a no-decompression limit dive planner. The simplified settings allow for three breathing gas mixtures (Air or Nitrox) and place a greater emphasis on the maximum operating depth (MOD) and no decompression time limit (NDL). The display prominently warns the diver if their depth is near, at or exceeds the MOD of the selected breathing gas. Optional safety stops are user-configurable to be 3, 4, 5 mins or adaptable. When using the Adapt setting, a 3-minute safety stop will be used, unless the dive exceeds 30 metres (100 ft)or the NDL falls below 5 minutes, in which case a 5-minute safety stop is used. If the diver exceeds the NDL and requires stops, the display turns red and warns "DECO STOP" with the mandatory depth and stop times.
Differences of Teric vs Perdix Dive Computers
Diving watches have traditionally been perceived as being less capable or having poorer information display as a result of compromises for size. That's no longer true with the Shearwater Teric. Other than the obvious difference in size, the Teric includes several other features not found on the Perdix:
- AMOLED display — vivid, bright colours reminiscent of the Predator.
- Haptic (vibration) and audible alarms — can be disabled to minimise annoyance.
- Scratch resistant Sapphire Crystal screen — along with stainless steel bezel protected with a vapour deposition process that uses plasma to embed carbon particles into the bezel for an elegant and durable finish.
- Four button situational adaptable logic menus — also configure one of the 4 buttons to give you one press access to certain dive or watch tools like compass, stopwatch, deco planner, log tagging, etc.
- Blue, Green, Pink, White, Yellow — dual colour wrist bands are options and standard 22 mm watch strap size makes many 3rd party options available.
- Wireless Charging of the battery — users have no need to open the watch reducing chances of flooding. This also eliminates the risk of damage from a leaking depleted battery.
- Timepiece mode — the Teric can be comfortably worn your wrist as a stylish daily timepiece.
- Free Diving mode — ascent and descent indicators suitable for free diving along with configurable logging intervals as short as 1 second.
- Home screen options - Instead of a mini compass on the home screen you can have a North Arrow moving around the outer edge of the watch face. You can also customize tissue graphs to appear on the outer edges of the home screen during the dive.
As of 2018, recent decompression research has called in to question the practice of 'deep stops' and Shearwater Research does not recommend the use of the VPM algorithm. The Teric only supports the proven Bühlmann ZHL-16c algorithm with configurable Gradient Factors and does not offer support for the alternative VPM algorithm. The Petrel and Perdix models currently continue to support VPM as an extra cost optional alternative.
This product has a limited warranty of two (2) years.
Note: This item cannot be delivered outside of Australia.