The new Suunto D5 Dive Computer is a watch style, colour screen, dive computer made for the active and travelling diver. The colourful screen makes it easy to understand the information it's telling you and the transflective display technology makes it easy to read it in all lights. It supports Air and Nitrox diving with up to 3 dive gases, has an apnea freediving mode, 3D digital compass, plus vibration and sound alerts.
One of the things that sets the Suunto D5 apart from the competition is the fact that apart from coming in Stainless Steel or Black you can also quickly and easily change the strap colour to suit your preference, match your dive kit or just be a little different.
ScubaLab Testers Choice 2019
The three-button operation of the air-integrated Suunto D5 is so simple you can confidently navigate menus before even glancing at the manual. That earned the D5 a very good score for intuitive operation. The high-contrast colour screen uses a reflective technology that enhances visibility in a wide range of light, and was easily visible in full sun — sometimes a weak spot for colour displays. "Super easy to see in the dark, sun or in between," noted one test diver. The display packs a lot in without being cluttered, partly by putting some info in a changeable window at the bottom. The display makes good use of attention-getting colours, and audible and vibrating alarms are unmissable. Divers rated the display very good overall for quality of data — though not all liked the hash-mark indicator for minutes which to non-metric minds can mean feet. Slightly liberal in our chamber dives, the D5 was simple to set up, see and understand, and test divers chose it as an overwhelming favourite. The D5 is our Testers Choice for computers over US$500.
Ease of Use and Customisable Looks
Bluetooth inside will connect to an app on your smart device to download dives and share them with friends. Much like the Suunto EON Steel and EON Core before it, the Suunto D5 has a similar 3-button interface and you can customise four dive screens.
The new Suunto D5 wristwatch sized dive computer is designed to be so clear and easy-to-use that you can just enjoy and focus on exploring the wonderful underwater world. Play with style by changing the strap to match your looks. After diving, connect wirelessly to the Suunto App to re-live and share your adventures with friends.
The Suunto D5 has everything needed by new Open Water divers, advanced recreational sport divers, Divemasters, Instructors, Freedivers, plus technical Advanced Nitrox, Decompression Procedures and Extended Range divers.
Easy-to-use User Interface with Clear Full Colour Screen
The Suunto D5 colour screen displays everything you need to know on a dive. Depth and time are prominent with a switchable window at the bottom where the user can scroll through their NDL, cylinder pressure, compass heading and timer, these are also displayed around the face in a graphical form.
Scroll through the switchable window using the lower pusher, and change the view using the middle pusher. The intuitive 3-button menu logic, known from Suunto's EON Steel and Core, makes using the Suunto D5 effortless underwater.
Easily respond to Vibration, Audio and On-screen alarms. Switch between Air, Nitrox, Freediving, Gauge and Watch modes.
Easy to Read Full Colour Screen
The high contrast, full colour screen is a MIP display with Transflective Display Technology and adjustable LED Backlight for easy reading in low light or night diving conditions.
Wireless transfer of dive logs to the new Suunto App
After the dive, you can transfer your dives to the Suunto App over the wireless Bluetooth connection with a mobile iOS or Android device. You can then re-live and share your adventures with friends.
The Suunto D5 is also compatible with the Suunto Tank POD. You can connect wirelessly with up to three Suunto Tank PODs to display tank pressure and gas information during the dive.
New Suunto Fused™ RGBM 2 Decompression Model
Virtually the same as the original Fused RGBM decompression model for dives to 30 metres. However, the new Fused RGBM 2 Decompression Model supports deeper dives from 30 to 60 metres with significantly less time in the water decompressing. Also, much less time decompressing in the water on second and subsequent repetitive dives. Tested on over 100,000 real dives in a wide range of conditions.
Navigation is made easy with the onboard 3D tilt-compensating digital compass. 3D digital compass function that provides bearing tracking, cardinal directions, declination setting, guided calibration, headings in degrees and is tilt compensating.
Play With Style by Changing the Strap
The new quick-release mechanism allows you to quickly change your Suunto D5 strap to match your style in and out of the water. There are a wide variety of diving, outdoor and fashion straps to choose from in different colours.
The built-in Li-ion rechargeable battery means you never have to bring your Suunto D5 back for a battery change. You can just top it up when you need to use the included USB cable with a powered USB port. From fully charged the battery is powered for 6 to 12 hours of diving, or up to 6 days in Watch mode.
The Suunto D5 currently supports 18 languages including English, Simplified Chinese, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, Czech and Japanese.
The Suunto D5 dive computer is compatible with Suunto app and Suunto DM5. The included USB cable enables you to connect your dive computer to Suunto DM5, available for PC and Mac.
The Suunto D5 has user updatable software and can be set for either imperial or metric increments of measurements. The Suunto D5 weighs 90 g (3.2 oz). The computer also comes with a USB cable, quick guide, dive legal leaflet and owner's manual.
Suunto D5 Watch Dive Computer Features
- Ease of Use and Customisable Looks
- Change the Strap Easily to Match Your Diving Gear or Casual Style
- Clear Full Colour Screen
Transflective Display Technology
LED Backlight for Easy Reading in Low Light/Night Diving Conditions
- Connect Wirelessly with Bluetooth to the Suunto App
Re-live Your Dives
Share Your Adventures With Friends
- Five Modes: Air/Nitrox/Free/Gauge/Watch
- Water Resistance 100 metres (328 ft), EN 13319, ISO 6425
- Powered by Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery
- Wireless Bluetooth Mobile Connectivity to Suunto App on iOS or Android
- Compatible with Suunto App and Suunto DM5
- Set and Switch Between up to Three Different Dive Gases
Oxygen 21 to 99%
Max pO2 1.6
- Up to 3 Tank Pressure Readings with Suunto Tank PODs
- New Suunto Fused™ RGBM 2 Decompression Model for All Dive Computations
- Vibrating and Audio Alarms
- 3D Digital Compass
Heading in Degrees
Tilt Compensated Compass
- User Updatable Software
- Imperial or Metric Increments of Measurements
- Communicates in 18 Languages
Suunto D5 Colour Options
- Black Bezel / Black Strap (SS050192000)
- Black Bezel / Lime Strap (SS050191000)
- Copper Bezel / Black Strap (SS050569000)
- Silver Bezel / Black Strap (SS050190000)
- Silver Bezel / White Strap (SS050181000)
The straps are easily changeable. You can buy different colour silicone straps as accessories, coloured extension straps, Zulu style straps, and even a leather strap for use out of the water.
Suunto D5 Technical Specifications
- Bezel material: Stainless steel
- Glass material: Mineral crystal
- Case material: Reinforced composite
- Strap material: Silicone
- Water resistance: 100 m (ISO 6425, EN 13319)
- Firmware upgradable: Yes
- Time, date: Yes
- Alarm clock: 1 daily alarm
- Dual time: Yes
- Stopwatch timer: Yes
- Vibration alert: Yes
- Backlight: LED
- Configurable backlight: Yes
- Display resolution: 320 x 300
- Metric and imperial units: Yes
- Display type: Memory in pixel
- Languages: EN, FR, ES, IT, NL, PT, SV, FI, RU, PL, KO, ZH, DE, NO, CS, DA, JA, ZH, TW
- Smartphone compatibility: Most common models supported
- Connectivity (between devices): inductive (Tank Pod), Bluetooth Smart
- Compatible with DM5: Yes
- Log transfer: Bluetooth Smart / USB cable
- Watch customisation: Customisable with DM5
- Compatible with Suunto app: Yes
Basic Diving Functions
- Maximum operating depth (EN 13319): 100 m / 328 ft (EN 13319, ISO 6425)
- Nitrox (and air): Yes
- Freedive: Yes
- Gauge: Yes
- Dive time: 0 to 999 min
- Surface time: 0 to 100 h
- No fly time: Yes
- Safety Stop: Yes
- Deep Stop: Yes
- Ascent time display: 0 - 999 min ( > after 999)
- CNS/OTU (OLF) calculation: Yes
- Gas time: Yes
- Gas consumption (real-time): Yes
- Custom displays: 4 per dive mode
- Visual style: Graphical
- Personal adjustment: P+2, P+1, P0, P-1, P-2
- Altitude adjustment: 0 - 300 m / 300 -1500 m / 1500 - 3000 m
- Gases: up to 3 gases (Oxygen 21 - 99%)
- Gas max pO2: 1.6
- No-decompression planner: Yes
- Logbook bookmarks: Yes
- Decompression model: Suunto Fused™ RGBM 2
- Wireless air integration: optional (up to 3 different tanks with Suunto Tank POD)
Dive Alarms and Notifications
- Dive time: Yes
- Maximum depth: Yes
- Tank pressure: Yes
- Gas time: Yes
- High pO2 (hyperoxic): Yes
- Too fast ascent: Yes
- Decompression ceiling violation: Yes
- Deepstop violation: Yes
- CNS/OTU (OLF) 80% / 100%: Yes
- Switch gas (better gas is available): Yes
Tissue Calculation Model
- Suunto Fused™ RGBM 2 algorithm (developed by Suunto and Bruce R. Wienke, BSc, MSc, PhD)
- 15 tissue compartments
- Tissue compartment halftimes for nitrogen: 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 40, 80, 120, 160, 240, 320, 400, 480, 560 and 720 min. The on-gassing and off-gassing halftimes are the same.
- Tissue compartment halftimes are divided by a constant factor to obtain helium halftimes
- Reduced gradient (variable) M-values based on diving habit and dive violations. The M-values are tracked up to 100 hours after a dive
- The exposure calculations (CNS% and OTU) are based on recommendations by R.W. Hamilton, PhD and currently accepted exposure time limit tables and principles
- Freedive number: Yes
- Freedive day history: Yes
- Freedive total history: lifetime
- Depth notify: yes (5)
- Dive time alarm: Yes
- Depth alarm: Yes
- Surface time notify: Yes
- Accuracy: ± 5 s/month (0 °C to 50 °C / 32 °F to 122 °F)
- 12/24 h display
- Accuracy: 1 second
- Display range: 0’00 – 99’59
- Resolution: 1 second
- Sample rate: 10 seconds
- Sample rate freedive: 1 second
- Memory capacity: approximately 200 hours of diving or 400 dive logs, whichever comes first
- Digital compass: Yes
- Tilt compensation: up to 45°
- Declination correction: Yes
- Direction scale: degrees
- Needle: compass rose
- Globally balanced: Yes
- Bearing lock with direction indicator: Yes
- Compass resolution: 1°
- Compass accuracy: +/- 15°
- Temperature compensated pressure sensor
- Accurate to 100 m / 328 ft complying with EN 13319 and ISO 6425
- Depth display range: 0 to 300 m /0 to 984 ft
- Resolution: 0.1 m from 0 to 100 m / 1 ft from 0 to 328 ft
- Normal altitude range: 0 to 3,000 m / 10,000 ft above sea level
- Operating temperature (diving): 0 °C to +40 °C / +32 °F to +104 °F
- Operating temperature (non-diving): -20 °C to +50 °C (-4 °F to +122 °F)
- Storage temperature: -20 °C to +50 °C / -4 °F to +122 °F
- Recommended charging temperature: 0 °C to +35 °C / +32 °F to +95 °F
- Maintenance cycle: 500 hours of diving or two years, whichever comes first
- Battery type: rechargeable lithium-ion
- Battery life (dive): up to 6-12 h of diving fully charged or up to 6 days in time mode
- Battery indicator: icon + dive hours remaining
- Bluetooth® Smart compatible
- Frequency band: 2402-2480 MHz
- Maximum output power: <4 dBm
- Range: ~3 m / 9.8 ft
Underwater Radio Receiver
- Wireless air integration
- Frequency band: single channel 123 kHz
- Range: 1.4 m / 4.6 ft
- Temperature: Yes
- Temperature resolution: 1 °C / 1.5 °F
- Temperature display range: -20 to +50 °C / -4 to +122 °F
- Accuracy: ± 2 °C/± 3.6 °F within 20 minutes of temperature change in temperature range of 0 °C to 40 °C / 32 °F to 104 °F
Dimensions and Weight
- Length: 53 mm / 2.08 in
- Width: 53 mm / 2.08 in
- Height: 16.5 mm / 10.65 in
- Weight: 90 g / 3.17 oz
What's In The Box?
- Suunto D5 Dive Computer with Medium length silicone diving strap
- USB Cable
- Quick Guide
- Safety leaflet
- Display scratch guard sticker
- International warranty leaflet
Download or view the
Suunto D5 User Guide (PDF, 65 pages, 2.5 Mb)
Suunto D5 Videos
Suunto D5 - How to get ready for an air/nitrox dive
Suunto D5 - How to use a tank POD
Suunto D5 - How to use advanced free dive features
Suunto D5 - How to lock and unlock the compass bearing
Suunto D5 - How to customize dive views with Suunto DM5
How to pair your Suunto D5 with Suunto app for Android
How to pair your Suunto D5 with Suunto app for iOS
Scuba Doctor Service and Repairs is an Authorised Suunto Service Centre
When purchased in Australia, all Suunto Dive Computers include a 2 year manufacturers warranty. The Depth Sensor has an extended 5 year warranty in Australia only. Another great reason to buy local! We use and recommend Suunto, and are here to help you.
When using the Air Integration feature, it is important to note that the Suunto Tank POD is required for connection. It is NOT the Suunto wireless air transmitter that other Suunto D series watch style dive computers use. This enables for the exclusive use of up to three Tank POD transmitters without the interference that is possible with the older type of transmitter.
What We Think...
We're excited! The Suunto D5 is made for divers who want a colour screen dive computer but don't want a big bulky computer that they can't wear day-to-day. The D5 is suitable for beginners through to technical divers. It would be at home on the wrist of an Open Water diver, advanced sports diver, Divemaster, Instructor, Freediver, and technical diver alike.
With the new Fused RGBM 2 decompression model, super clear colour screen, rechargeable battery, easy to use three-button interface, user-updatable features, the option for gas integration and three possible Air or Nitrox mixes for advanced decompression schedules, 3D compass, plus those all-important social-media facilities, and a Freediving mode, the Suunto D5 has it all.
The Suunto D5 is also available with a Suunto Tank Pod included at a special bundle price.
- The International Limited Warranty Period starts at the date of original retail purchase.
- The Warranty Period is five (5) years for failures attributable to the depth measurement (pressure) sensor on Suunto Dive Computers.
- The Warranty Period is two (2) years for Dive Products and Dive transmitters unless otherwise specified.
- The Warranty Period is one (1) year for accessories including but not limited to wireless sensors, chargers, cables, rechargeable batteries, straps, bracelets and hoses.
Note: This item cannot be delivered outside of Australia.